NAO’s Activities in the two year period: 2003-2005
Reported by Anupama Shrestha, General Secretary
Date: April 23, 2005
Summary of NAO Activities in 2003-2005
NAO was established in 2001. I am going to present the report of the second executive committee for the year April 2003- April 2005.
Members: In 2003-05 term, NAO executive committee had seven members: Daya Shakya, Kush Shrestha, Hari Ranabhat, Dillu Thapa, Shudhodhan Ranjit, Sagar Onta, Anupama Shrestha.
- NAO continued to observe and celebrate the annual Nepali cultural festivals and significant events.
- New Year Celebration (Bikram Sambat 2061) on April 17 th at the Bethlelham Luthern Church, NE Portland. 117 community members attended the celebration function. The highlight of the event was the first Nepali cuisine Achaar competition. The winners were Bernadine Mali, Sugan Munakami and Jaya Shakya.
- Summer Picnic was organized at Oaks Park on June 21 2003. A total of 111 members attended the picnic.
- NAO hosted the 3rd Annual Northwest Picnic on Sept 2004 at the Blue Lake Park. NAO hosted the picnic for all Nepalis from the northwest regions. Guests from Seattle Nepali Society and Vancouver BC also attended the picnic. To celebrate the event, NAO sold T-shirt marking the second NW Nepali Jamghat.
- Vijaya Dashami celebration dinner was held on Oct 30, 2004 at Multnomah Arts Center. A largest number of community members (234) attended the dinner and dance program.
- Publication of Namaste Newsletter
Fund Raising Activities
- Nepali Cultural Show at Sauvie Island generating and a net of $1,149.
- Ramjham Sanjha a cultural program consisting of folk and modern Nepali songs was held August 8, 2003 at the Portland State University. A total of 247 people attended this event of songs and comedies by Ram Krishna Dhakal, Kunti Muktan and comic duo Madan Krishna Shrestha and Hari Bansha Archarya.
- SurShudha-musical group performed an evening of Nepali classical instrumentals on August 13, 2004 at the Multnomah Arts Center. A 122 people attended and generated approximately $1100. All of the proceeds from the event went to the Bridhashram project in Devigat Nepal through the Sur Shudha. NAO retain the 20 percent of the proceeds and the expenses of the event. Raja and Sunita Shrestha and others local families hosted the artists.
- Himalayan Night II - A Tsunami Relief Concert was held on April 2,2005 at the Multnomah Arts Center. The variety cultural show by local Nepali artists raised a net of $1440. NAO also contributed $150 to the fund. All proceeds from this event will go to Mercy Corp for their ongoing efforts of Tsunami relief works.
Note: NAO handed over a check for $1,601 to the representative of Mercy Corps at the Nepali New Year (Bikram Sambat 2062) event on April 23, 2005.
Activities and Accomplishemnts to reach out to the local communities
- Asian Celebration in Eugene in Feb 2005. NAO was represented in the 20th Asian Celebration with NAO community members presenting a variety of Nepali dances at the event.
- The first Annual Northwest Picnic was held in Seattle in 2003 summer and 18 individuals from Oregon participated the picnic.
- Visit from Channel Nepal Team on May 6 th 2004 with a project of documenting the lifestyle of Nepalese living in America. They interviewed many individuals from various fields.
- Talk with Dr Shree Govinda Shah an Environmentalist and Resource Management Specialist on Ecology of politics and development of Nepal was held on August 22, 2004. He is the father of Uday Shah, a new Nepali resident in Oregon.
- Bob Gersony of International Crisis group presented his study findings on Maoist conflict in Nepal at Portland State University in the summer of 2003.
- Captaian Maitalal Gurung, Sectrtary of International Committee of the Hariyali Nepal Party gave a talk program regarding the current situation in Nepal.
- Book Launching on Lain Singh Bandel by Don Messerschimdt was held at Krishna Sob's house.
- Membership fee was started in July 2003
- NAO logo was chosen through a logo competition with 6 entries. The winner was Sudip Shakya creator of the current logo. He was presented $101 cash prize.
- Roji Malakar was presented an Outstanding Volunteer Award along with the $300 cash prize for her long voluntary contribution to the NAO and its activities. She helped promote Nepali culture in Oregon. She was chosen on July 6, 2003.
- NAO also purchased a sound system worth $1,100.
- NAO supported the Third International Taekwondo Championship by placing an advertisement in the Souvenir Book. Manisha Shretha represented NAO with a Nepali dance at the opening ceremony.