What is NAO High School Excellence Award?
NAO is awarding a $500 excellence award, since 2010, to a qualifying high school graduate from Nepali Community in Oregon and SW Washington who is planning to enroll in a 4-year university or college. The goal of the award program is to support most promising local Nepali student to complete intended college degree while encouraging all high school students— of the local Nepali community— to be devoted on their study, and getting their involvement in our community activities.
What are the eligibility Requirements?
- Applicants must have resided in either Oregon or Southwest Washington State for more than 6 months before the deadline of application.
- Applicants must be of Nepali heritage.
- Applicants must be a member of NAO.
- Applicants must have at least 3.0 Cumulative GPA.
- Applicants must be high school seniors. Proof can be the transcript of High School, and the recommendation from a school teacher.
How do I apply for the Award?
All applicants are required to submit the following documents in a closed envelope to apply for the award:
- Transcripts: Official / unofficial transcript, with High School cumulative GPA, issued by their school.
- Essay: Applicants must write a 500-750 words essay on one of the following two topics:
- Discuss how you will or have already used your diverse life experience and perspectives to contribute to the community you live in. OR
- Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.
- Resume: Particularly focusing on current standing in school and extracurricular activities; including community participation and voluntary services.
- Letter of Recommendation: A letter of recommendation from high school teacher. Teacher’s Evaluation Form must be signed by School Counselor. Please download the Teacher Evaluation Form 2016
- NAO Membership: The status of NAO membership will be verified by the NAO Executive Committee.
Selection Criteria: The applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
High School GPA 50% Essay 25% Volunteer/Community Participation 20% Recommendation 5% Total 100%
In evaluating applicant’s high school GPA, a weighting scale will be applied to account for Honors (H), Advance Placement (AP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses.
What is the timeline of this Award?
Application submission deadline— Last day of February
Award winner announcement — April, 2016 Award distribution—Nepali New Year (Bikram Sambat 2073) Celebration Day
Address to send Application materials:
Anu Acharya Coordinator, NAO High School Excellence Award
5988 Legacy St SE.
Salem, OR 97306
Who should I contact if I have any questions?
Please direct all your questions to the secretary of NAO:
We wish you best of luck and would like to thank you for considering NAO High School Excellence Award.