APPLICATION OPEN: NAO $1000 HIGH SCHOOL EXCELLENCE AWARD 2022
NAO is awarding excellence award, since 2010, to a qualifying high school senior from Nepali Community in Oregon and SW Washington who is planning to enroll in a 4-year university or college. Previously, the excellence award amount was $500. From 2020, the award amount has been increased to $1000. This year the association decided that if there is just 3 or less marks difference between the first candidate and the second candidate during the selection process NAO will provide $500 runner up excellence award to the second candidate. The goal of the award program is to support most promising local Nepali student/s to complete intended college degree while encouraging all high school students— of the local Nepali community— to be devoted on their study, and getting their involvement in our community activities.
WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS?
- Applicants must have been residing in Oregon or Southwest Washington State for more than 6 months before the deadline of application.
- Applicants must be of Nepali heritage.
- Applicant/the family must be a member of the NAO (membership purchase is available now).
- Applicant must have at least 3.0 Cumulative GPA.
- Applicants must be high school seniors. Proof can be the transcript of High School junior completed, and the recommendation from a school teacher.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE AWARD?
All applicants are required to submit the following documents in a closed envelope to apply for the award:
- Transcripts: Official / unofficial 11th grade completed transcript, with High School cumulative GPA, issued by their school.
- Essay: Applicants must write a 500-750 words essay on one of the following two topics:
- Discuss how you will or have already used your diverse life experience and perspectives to contribute to the community you live in. OR
- Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.
- Resume: Particularly focusing on current standing in school and extracurricular activities; including community participation and voluntary services.
- Letter of Recommendation: A letter of recommendation from high school teacher.
- NAO Membership: The status of NAO membership will be verified by the NAO Executive Committee. You can purchase your/family membership through NAO website www.nepaloregon.org — there is a PayPal link.
Selection Criteria: The applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria: High School GPA 50%, Essay 25%, Volunteer/Community Participation 20% and teacher recommendation letter 5% = Total 100%
In evaluating applicant’s high school GPA, a weighting scale will be applied to account for Honors (H), Advance Placement (AP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses.
WHAT IS THE TIMELINE OF THIS AWARD?
Application submission deadline — September 30th, 2022
Award winner/s announcement — NAO Dashain Party (Middle of October, 2022)
Address to send Application materials:
Nepali Association of Oregon
PO Box 5513
Beaverton, OR, 97007
You can send the scanned copies by email to email@example.com
WHO SHOULD I CONTACT IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS?
Bharat Banskota, NAO Education Committee Coordinator, 9712228565 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I wish all the best to all applicants.